Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Second First Day of School

(man I suck, this was supposed to be posted yesterday!)

So I had the rest of my classes today.

Because of the insane distance from my dorm to the Aerospace complex, I have to take a shuttle. Luckily, the shuttle always seems to come on time. It's also free.

Computer Science already looks like it's going to be a fun class. I even got to bring my laptop! There were more girls in the class than I thought there'd be. My textbook for this class is "The Fundamentals of Python". No, I don't have a clue what Python is, I've actually never heard of it, not even in passing. All I know is that when I first saw the name of the book on my book list, I instantly thought it was about how to be funny like Monty Python.

Shortly afterwards, I went to the building next door, Clifford, for Introduction to Space Studies. A few words about the Clifford building. The place is freakishly futuristic-looking. If I didn't have ten minutes between Computer Science and Space Studies, I would take a picture of the interior. Also, the instant you walk in, you have to take an escalator to the second floor to continue on. Basically, one of the first things I thought was "Daaaaaaaaaymn."

About Space Studies itself. Intro to Space Studies is the only class of mine that takes place in an actual lecture hall. But even this is weird. First off, it looks like the lecture hall could only seat 200 people at most. Second off, it wasn't nearly that full. So even this class is kinda small, much like the other ones. I have yet to be in a class, band aside, that has had more than 30 or so people in it at most.

Apparently, the teacher likes to start off some of the lectures with a Looney Tunes cartoon involving space. Marvin the Martian FTW. I will never admit this to anyone in real life, but I actually find the old-school Looney Tunes pretty funny when I come across them. I think part of the reason why is because of how shitty in general kids cartoons today are.

Judging by the intro lecture about all of the things covered in Space Studies, I think I'm definitely going to like this class, especially since there seems to be a lot of focus on the human space programs in place today. Besides, the textbook is the National Geographic Encyclopedia of Space! With a foreword by Buzz Aldrin, and huge full-color photographs! This and the Fundamentals of Python book are the two books I think I'm going to keep rather than turn in at the end of the semester.

Afterwards, I got to ride the shuttle back to Memorial Union, where some sort of mass event was going on in the front. Since I didn't have pre-calc today, I dropped off my stuff at the dorm and went to the Dining Terrace on the lower floor via a side entrance. Whole wheat spaghetti with marinara sauce and diced chicken (ehhhh, normal spaghetti is better taste- and texture-wise), a bowl of salad and a bowl of pasta salad, and a cup of water and a cup of iced tea.

After lunch, I got to sit around for about an hour or so before I had to head out to go to Inquiry in the Humanities Honors, which already looks like it's going to be a version of a college English class. Glad I don't have any, otherwise it'd feel like I have TWO of them.

The class only has about fifteen people in it, and has squishy chairs and couches along the wall instead of desks, something I'm not used to. The teacher is pretty funny. In order to break up the awkward silence that pervaded the room at one point, he asked the class why he liked the "I *heart* Jesus" mug he was drinking tea from. His answer? "Because it turns my water into wine." The guy also seems to like old-school rock.

We have five goddamn books for this class! FIVE! Luckily, the essays in this class don't look like they're going to be about analyzing rhetorical strategies, a topic that gets really, really old after your fifth essay about it. Judging by the syllabus, they only seem to be about two to four pages long, too.

After that class, I got to go home and sit around for an hour AGAIN before having to leave with my clarinet in tow for my University Band placement audition. It was supposed to be at 3:50, but since the director was so far behind, I opted to simply walk in the room, order be damned, because Marching Band class was starting (luckily, there was an "Informational Meeting" about the class at the beginning of the class, so I didn't have to worry about not getting a ride). I think I did pretty well. Maybe.

Marching Band was same-old, same-old, except that I had to put sunblock on because it was bright and sunny out there. It was thankfully windy, and the prior meeting made sure that we'd only have an hour to do things. Oh yeah, at that meeting, I found out that we're learning MULTIPLE shows over the course of the semester. I hope it's not what I think it is, I hope they just mean "pregame" (where we apparently high-step-run onto the field) and "half-time" (which we've been working on for the last week-and-a-half).

After that, I had to shower really quickly back at the dorm and had to walk with Sam back to the Aerospace complex because I got back from band too late to catch the Night Bus after showering (the sun was still up, though). The reason? Anime club. No one had their Poke'mon games with them, much to my disappointment, but now I know that I should probably bring my laptop in next time. Yay for free wireless, uncensored internet! Also, they knew about about Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series. They meet every Wednesday at 7.

And that was it for today. I was so tired when I got back that I couldn't blog about it. Oh yeah, and I found out last night that Littlekuriboh (aka "CardgamesFTW") posted a new episode of the Abridged Series.

For your required random video of today, here's the full version of the intro to the anime "Air". I actually have this song on my iPod.



And of course, here's episode 3 of the Abridged Series...

1 comment:

Christina LMT said...

Sounds like you're having way more fun than me! So Sam is in the Anime Club, too?
Very cool.
I'm busy packing right now...ugh.