Monday, August 17, 2009

Live, from Grand Forks, North Dakota...

...it's Silver's Screw the Rules, I Have Blog! Brought to you by Real Life: Because virtual life just isn't satisfying enough!

Well, this is Silver's first blog post, not including the ones on my now-defunct old blog. If you're reading this, it's probably because you're a blogger friend of my mom's, a relative of mine (such as a sister or mother), or someone who Googled "Grand Forks North Dakota" and stumbled across this (yeah, right, I don't have nearly enough hits for it). Since the first two are the likeliest reasons why you're bothering to read this instead of doing something productive, I'm going to forgo the introduction in which I tell you that I'm crazy and genre-savvy (you become this if you surf TVTropes long enough), love video games, and want to get a Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science at the University of North Dakota.

Since few of you aforementioned people are video game-savvy, I'll mention the two games I'll be referencing soon: Persona 3 and Poke'mon Pearl. Persona 3 is a Japanese Role-Playing Game (RPGs are games that are generally heavy on story and are very long) that takes place in modern-day Japan, is very, very long (around 120 hours from start to finish), has fast-paced turn-based battles, and thinks that it's an anime. It's also part of the Shin Megami Tensei series of JRPGs; all you really need to know about the series, aside from the fact that it's awesome, is that it likes to make God evil.

Poke'mon Pearl is the fourth-generation (read: 4th series) iteration of the Poke'mon games, which are also JRPGs with a turn-based battle system. Poke'mon as a whole started out as a video game series with Poke'mon Red and Blue before it branched out into other things like the (now sucky) anime, spinoff games, toys, and the card game series that I love so much alongside the "main" series developed by Game Freak (if a Poke'mon game isn't developed by these guys, it's not a "main" game), of which Pearl is part of. At the moment, I've been EV-training an Octillery named "Takoyaki" (translates to "fried octopus" in Japanese). EV-training stands for "Effort Value training"; it basically involves killing specific Poke'mon over and over again so that a specific stat(s) gains more points upon leveling up. I'm EV-training Takoyaki in the Special Attack stat, so it could do things like barbecuing people a lot more effectively.

The title of my blog is a reference to Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, in which one of the main characters, a rich teen who cheats at the card game of the series, says "Screw the rules, I have money!" It's one of the most famous catchphrases of the entire series.

Since I literally just made this blog and I'm short on time at the moment (more on that later), the sidebar looks distinctly void of content and/or generic and the template is one that twenty bazillion other people on this site have. Probably tonight after dinner and after I post my two new blog posts, I'll make the images and start on the coding for the blog layout (which probably has div classes and such that I don't know how to work yet) so it isn't nearly as generic or boring.

No comments: